Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Countdown Continues

As I sit here with a bulging belly and intense pressure that only pregnant women understand, I am really counting down the days until Grant's arrival. I went to the doctor Monday, and we did another fetal monitor for about 15 minutes. I had regular contractions the entire time, but they were not painful ones at all. The doctor came in and said, "Oh, look at all that activity." I then told him that that activity was restful and mild compared to what I'd experienced all weekend. It's hard explaining these things to a man who has never actually had a contraction, much less four babies. When I'm moaning to Matt about intense pain (as I did at 4 a.m. this morning), I know he doesn't know if this episode is really worse than the last. I can't even begin to paint a picture of how this feels. This weekend I really thought we were going to have a baby. I was in that much pain despite literally laying on the couch or in the bed for three full days.

As of my appointment Monday, Dr. Peeler's plan is to deliver May 20th (which will be 38 weeks, 4 days) unless he finds a reason to move it up a week. We are doing a full ultrasound and biophysical profile Monday to see how large Grant is, what my fluid levels are like, etc. He said that we'll take him at 37 weeks, 4 days if there is any reason to move it up. He realizes that this has been a very difficult journey the past three weeks. So we'll take a peek at Grant Monday and maybe have a definite date down. I think Dr. Peeler is concerned about the risk of me going into labor since I've had 3 previous C-sections. With Isabella, I was already 5 cm when I got to the hospital. So we want to avoid that....but make sure that we don't take him too early. I want a big, healthy baby that can breathe totally on his own. So we'll only deliver on the 13th if we're sure that he's ready to come. That will be only 3 days earlier in the pregnancy than when we delivered Ali Kate....and two weeks later than I delivered Abby and Isabella. So I'm comfortable with either decision.

So as for right now, we have either 26 or 19 days left to go before we meet Grant Dawson Stine. I can't wait! We're really not ready...no bags packed or anything....but I want to meet him. I'm not sure how it'll feel to know that he's our last one and that my last day of pregnancy has come and gone. It'll be bittersweet for sure. I feel like God has given us a full house, and I thank Him for all four of my little blessings!

No comments: