Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow Day!

This morning Matt came in while I was showering to announce that there would be no school today. Seriously?!? We'd had no big warning from the weather announcers that we should expect snow. I'd seen it in the forecast several days before, but it wasn't showing on my Iphone anymore.

So after I got dressed, I went to peek out the window (I'm worse than the kids about snow days). And there were these big gigantic flakes coming down. We already had several inches, and it was still coming! I was delighted. Now...since there was no Mother's Day Out or big kid school for Abby...I thought it wise to get some work done early and let the kids sleep in. That plan lasted about 20 minutes until Isabella woke up and saw the snow. Within a couple of minutes, the whole house was awake and ready for snow day!!

For whatever reason, I've made sausage balls for breakfast every time we've had snow/ice this year. So off to the kitchen I trotted to make my friend Lindsay's sausage ball recipe (so much better than our old recipe). While they baked, I got everyone dressed for snow play. And they eagerly ran off to brush their own teeth to get a check on our new chore charts. Lovin' me some chore charts!!

Now taking Abby out in the snow posed some slight dilemma. So I decided to put her leg into a garbage bag. Then I put her pants on top of the garbage bag and stuffed it in there really well. Then when we went outside I loaded her into our Radio Flyer wagon and wrapped a towel around her leg for extra measure. Can you tell I don't want this cast to get wet? I did decide to not let her walk in the snow for fear of breaking her other leg or soaking her cast. But I pulled her around the yard in her wagon and let her build a snowgirl from inside her wagon. We even had snowball fights too!

Isabella and Ali Kate loved being in the snow. They had a blast. Isabella made "snow pies," and Ali Kate just kept scooping it up in her hands and licking it. We made two snowgirls complete with berries for eyes, twigs for arms, a hat, a scarf, and other nature items for accessories (we were out of carrots). Grant wasn't too fond of the snow, and I can't blame him. It was almost up to his knees. He really couldn't figure out why he had to wade through this stuff. So Mommy held him alot while I launched snowballs at the girls. Did I mention I grew up in South MS? It snowed maybe 4 or 5 times my whole childhood and NEVER like this. I don't think I've ever seen this much snow before except on a trip to Boston in high school.

We played outside for about an hour until everyone was good and frozen. Then I had the kids totally undress in the entryway and go fetch clean fleece pjs from the clean laundry basket (that saved me from folding and putting away 8 pieces of laundry!). Then they watched a movie while I cleaned up and did some laundry. I also spent some sweet, sweet time alone with Grant looking at picture books and building blocks. He won't let me stack more than 4 before he knocks them over and gut laughs!!

The day went on with indoor play and some great storytime tonight. If you haven't read the book Pinkalicious, you've got to check it out. Love it! The girls (definitely not Grant) love to sit forever and read story after story. Grant likes to hit us in the heads while we read all of those stories...so he had to hang with Dad during storytime. Boys are different!

Tomorrow we'll be getting ready for everyone's Valentine's parties at their schools. Yay!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

sounds like fun! we enjoyed it too!